Mobile: 0408 557 583
Telephone: 03 9018 7917
Facsimilie: 03 9012 3580
Paul established Emergent Futures Pty Ltd as a consulting company combining his long experience in business with his training as a futurist to assist organisations and individuals in the creation of strategy. Paul believes that the application of foresight tools to the strategy process can give organisations a critical edge in a fast moving modern world.
He holds a First Class Honours Degree in Veterinary Science, a Bachelor of Animal Science, and a Masters Degree in Strategic Foresight. Paul is also a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Paul has been a dairy cattle veterinarian, an abattoir manager, a pork farmer, and an agribusiness consultant before becoming a futurist with Emergent Futures. He has also been involved in politics and agri-politics having been Chairman of the pork industry national body twice for a total of 10 years, and President of Country Labor in Victoria for 5 years. Paul recently retired from the board of Auspork after 16 years. Auspork is an unlisted public company that markets pork, beef, chicken and lamb, including branded retail ready packs of ready to eat meat products.
Paul is a graduate of the Leadership Victoria Program and a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He is also a guest lecturer at Victoria University on the disruptive effects of web technologies and a technology editor on Tumblr, the micro-blogging site sold to Yahoo in 2013 for US$1.1 billion. Paul is also a partner of Social Ventures Partners International (Melbourne Chapter) as well as being a member of their investment committee. Paul writes and presents regularly on future disruptions to business models, and consults to a range of organisations on how to think about the future.
Paul believes that the combination of his experience and his foresight training gives him a unique perspective on business strategy.
Paul’s business experience has taught him that critical business decisions have as much impact on business success as long hours of focused execution. However he recognises that most people have little time to look around and think about what might be happening. Therefore the approaches that Emergent Futures uses align themselves to the reality of a fast moving, time critical modern world from quick scanning processes to longer strategic analysis.
Examples of Recent Presentations and Project work Include:
- Embracing the Future workshops for the Leadership Victoria Director Dynamics program and the LGA New Councillor Program (Nov 2014-Jan 2015)
- Working with Kuhn Farm Machinery on the Future of Agriculture and technology for their Dealer Network (2014-2015)
- Closing Keynote for the National Farmers Federation Congress on What the Future Holds for Farmers (Nov 2014)
- Foresight and Training Workshops for Port Stephens Council (July 2014)
- Keynote for the Australian Fodder Industry Association Conference (August 2014)
- NZ Beef and Lamb Industries: Road Show Keynotes on Future Challenges and Opportunities for Agriculture (May and June 2013)
- Foresight and strategy workshop with senior executives of State Trustees Victoria (September 2013 – ongoing)
- Presentation to Nexus Youth Philanthropy Summit on The Future of Philanthropy (broadcast on Foxtel November 2013).
- Foresight work with the Senior Executive Leadership team of M2 (Owner of Commander, iPrimus, Dodo (2013- Ongoing))
- Australian Tax Office Workshops on issues affecting future workforce planning and service provision (2013/2014)
- Foresight work with Bendigo Bank on the future of their community banking model (Dec 2103-ongoing)
- The Future of Parliament – a Presentation to the ANZACATT Conference January 2012 (Melbourne)
- Future Visioning and Strategy Workshops for Daimler Financial Services Asia Pacific Region February 2012 (Singapore)
- The Future Competitive Landscape for Social Enterprise (June 23 2012) – A presentation to the YMCA Senior Managers Forum.
- Future Thinking for Practical Strategy (Sept 2012 –Present) - CEO Institute Presentations (multiple)
- Rural Finance Corporation - Development of Strategic Ideas and Value Propositions for the Future of Regional Australia (November 2012)
- Created Horizon Scanning Program for Department of Premier and Cabinet (2012/13)
- Keynote Address to the National Bank Small Business Summit (July 2011). The Future Competitive Landscape – a Two Edged Sword (Sydney).
- Top 10% Performers Visioning and Strategy Workshops for Macquarie Telecom – July-September 2011 (Sydney and Cambodia).