The key points were:
- Futurists help people think about the future, they don’t nake predictions.
- If you go back to 1988 (which is the same length of time from now to 2050) it gives you a better idea about the amount of change that has taken place.
- Pace layering is a useful way to think about the nature of change. The governance layer has a responsibility to allow the fashion, commerce, and infrastructure layers move at the appropriate pace. Too fast means they will damage the layers below them , and too slow means that innovation is stifled.
- We can predict the shape of 2050 with some level of accuracy but not the detail.
- There will be disruptions to that predicted shape we cannot fully anticipate.
- Planners have a responsibility to help manage the governance layers of change and can act at many levels to do that.