Paul presented to a new CEO Institute Syndicate in Ballarat June 2019
The key points were:
- It is important to keep multiple pictures in your head about what the future might look like.
- First, understand the strategic landscape that you currently operate in by mapping out the value chains.
- Then imagine how that landscape might change to create different pictures in your head.
- From those pictures look at the major strategic decisions you would make if they came true and decide what are the major signposts that will give you an early warning that they are coming true so you can take action before others do.
- Scan for those signposts on a regular basis that is appropriate for the organisation you are leading. This means allocating the correct amount of your time to thinking about these things which varies between organisations.
- As soon as you get enough clarity then act, understanding that in the real world we all have to act on incomplete information.